Introduction -- From a Shoebox

Welcome to "My Dearest Dorely". This blog is to showcase letters and postcards and other small documents from the late 1800's into the late 1900's. These were found one day by my husband as he was throwing trash into the dumpster at the hardware store where we worked. We have saved them, never quite knowing what to do with them--just knew that we didn't want them to end up at a landfill.


With the ability to blog, this means that we can show these letters to the world, and get help with interpretation (there are many written in a foreign language) and we can get some help with identifying some of the photos on the postcards and the locations from where these documents originated.


(Since two World Wars have taken place since these letters and postcards were written, some of the scenery might well have changed from those days.)


It would be our ultimate goal to get these letters to the relatives or family of the authors of them.


Come along for a fun adventure as we try to solve some mysteries!


I will show each piece of correspondence, and will include any other information that I can with each piece, such as the postmark and what address and country the letter originated from.


There is a good quantity of letters and postcards to go through, so I shall be here awhile! Interesting subjects can be found in some of the letters. In one, the Lindbergh baby kidnapping is discussed, in another, the Hindenburg explodes! I hope you find the handwriting as beautiful as I do, some letters are five and six pages long! They come from many countries spread around this great big world.


(I have no idea who is pictured in the above photo. Several photos were in the shoebox, but the people pictured in most of them are not identified.)

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

( 4.27.1936) To: Maisie From: 48 Merchand Rd. New Eltham SE9

{Note:  Maisie is Dorely's mother.  "Nanny"  (Grandmother of Dorely) is Maisie's mother, who lives in England.  This letter is a gossipy one from a neighbor who was a friend of Dorely's grandmother, written to Dorely's mother, Maisie with news about the death of Maisie's mother.}

Dear Maisie:

Received your beautiful (bat?sp) and letter which I was very pleased to receive also cable--yes my dear.  I know how terrible it must have been to you.  But you must try not to grieve too much.  Your dear mother is happy I do believe.  She looked lovely as she lay.  You would have just thought she was sleeping peacefully.  She had a very pleasant death.  She was having her dinner with poor Will.  He lifted her up and  knocked over on the wall for the person next door.  Then went for Mrs. James.  I was over a fortnight before she passed away as she could not come to me.  With her foot and leg.  I never got to know what is really was the matter with her leg.  But she was not out after she was at my daughter's.  The Sunday after xmas yes we had a nice time together and was planning for next xmas. It's hard to say how many of us will be spared to see it.  Fred let me know on the Sat. morning.  I got a shock.  I could do no more that day.  I have lost a dear friend.  We were great friends.  Your dear mother told me all her troubles and I told her all mine.  And we kept each other's confidences.  I know Fred and Hilda did not treat your darling mother as they should have done, they very seldom visited her, or even sent to see if she lived or died.  But you dear Maisie made up for it all all as your mother often told me.  You can rest your very best.  Which God will bless you for.  As soon as I got to know I went over to Crayford but no one was there as Fred took Hill down to his home.  Hilda came back with me to let me see your dear mother.  She told me they had been to the co-op to arrange for the funeral.  And it was costing L13for which they were going to pay L1 per month for.  But I said Maisie is sure to send something as soon as she can.  Hilda gave me a biscuit bowl a little eggs pan.  Also a small iron pan.  I asked her if she was selling your dear mothers clothes as I would like to buy those 2 dresses you sent also the lovely black coat.  She promised to let me know about them but so far I have heard anything more.  We are going to have Will over occasionally to keep in touch with him for your dear mothers sake.  Hilda told me they were going to try and get him into some kind of service in an hotel or something like that, but for the present he was going to stay there with them.  I do hope something nice will turn up for him poor lad.  Well Maisie dear, I went to the cemetery with my daughter to see your dear mother burried (sp) she had a nice coffin and 5 nice wreaths so there were going to get a vase wit the rest.  I am going over as soon as possible to see it.  I promise you Maisie dear, I will go every few weeks and take some flowers to my dearest friend.  There was a nice motor hearse & motor coach there was only Will & Fred & Hilda there.  I need not tell you Maisie dear how I felt in not being asked to your dear mothers funeral as we were such close friends.  But perhaps in their trouble they never thought.  If you dear mother knew how grieved she would have been.  They took all the furniture to their home.  But I don't know if they sold it or not.  Hilda said they were going to sell it to help with expenses.  Yes Maisie I will always write to you and give you any little details I can.  Your dear mother told me so much about you I feel I know you so well and can tell you anything.  I took some lovely tulips and dropped them on the coffin instead of putting them on her grave.  As I wanted her to have them close to her.  Mrs James was ever so upset we all talked about you and our greatest sympathy went out to you.  I expect you were shedding tears the same time as we were.  Now Maisie dear if ever you come to England, remember there is a wellcome(sp) for you in my home I should be ever so pleased to have you to spend a few days with us.  I often wish I had your address I should have written and told you how poorly your darling mother was she's been going back now for a long time every time I saw her I saw a change in her.  But I never thought she would go so suddenly.  I hope when I pass out, I will go as peacefully.  Now don't worry to(sp) much Maisie dear.  Just think your dear mother is at rest and happy.  Please excuse writing as I am a very poor letter writer but I think you will understand we all send our love & deepest sympathy.  Hoping your hubby and family and your dear self are well.
M. White & Kitty

1 comment:

  1. Dear lady, You have come upon a true treasure. I love to sit and read about a persons life, as it unfolds, especially of long ago. Wouldn't it be truly wonderful, if someone out here, could tie this to their family?

    ReplyDelete